Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Blog #6 Reflections on San Blas

The night before we left Rincon de Guayabitos for Puerto Vallarta, we had dinner at the Vista Guayabitos situated at the south end of town high on a hill. The food was wonderful. Instead of nacho type chips and salsa they gave us lobster sushi for a nibbler!!! I knew this was going to be a good night!!! There was a dj playing as we ate and at the end of the meal as we were sipping on liqueurs he played Andrea Bocelli's "It's Time to Say Goodbye". Up we jumped and danced and sang, the only ones on the floor, to what was a most fitting ending to our great time in Guayabitos. The unit we rented on the ocean is not available from Jan. - March or we would be back real soon!!!

We took a taxi to Puerto Vallarta and booked into Tropicana, our favourite hotel, but not without incident of course. I had phoned and told them we were going home early and needed to change our original reservation from Dec.20-23 to Dec.8th. On the phone there was no problem but at the hotel they were going to charge us again for the 8th and not refund us anything for the paid 20th. Then, they credited us for the 20th but wouldn't refund any of the difference in price. By this time after having 5 weeks of being continually financially being taken advantage of, I had had enough!!! Time to talk to the manager. The result - free breakfast. Not fair but something!!!
Above is the picture of our last morning on the beach. This lovely deaf guy gave me this henna bracelet. After negotiation of course!!! Thought I wanted a tatoo here but now, I'm not so sure......

We arrived home, no this is not our home but the cabin on our property, to snow!!! In fact, we drove through a snow storm to get home.
San Blas - we loved San Blas for 4 years. We had some great times there and met some wonderful people who I hope will remain our friends for the rest of our lives. I loved where we had rented for the last two years and where I felt a part of the community. I knew all of my neighbours and got along well with them all. The kids were great!!! I will always remember this neighbourhood with great fondness.
If Gustavo from the mini-super on the square had of told us the truth that the house he wanted to rent to us was not ready, we probably would not have gone to Mexico this year. San Blas is hurting like the rest of Mexico in these hard financial times. I think our Canadian attitude would be, "Hey, here are some tourists wanting to stay in our country and spend money here so let's give them the best deals we can and make them as happy as we can!!!" That is not what happened to us. It was more like, "We have them here, let's squeeze as much out of them as we can get." People who we thought were friends and cared for us, really didn't. Ouch!!!!!
If you are planning a trip to San Blas I would recommend the following places to stay - Bungalows Cony, Casa Roxanna, Garza Canela, Flamingos Hacienda. They all have white grout in the bathrooms!!! That is my basic problem with all the other rental places in town. You walk into the bathroom and can't imagine yourself naked in this room!!! Not a good sign!!! Some travellers are willing to bleach the place when they move in - not me!!!
What's a head? Well, three days before we left on this trip, we bought a tiny two room cabin on Lake Bernard in Sundridge about 30 minutes north of us. Deal closes on Jan. 6th. It needs gobs of work and hopefully by June sometime, it will be ready to rent. I'm going to document progress through a blog - Almost Ready to Rent a Cute Cottage on Lake Bernard or something like that!!!
I can't see us staying here for the winter. I think one day we just look at each other and say, "Ok, enough snow is enough. Let's leave tomorrow!!!" We will climb in the car and drive south. Around the end of January, I'm thinking. I want to go to New Orleans for two nights and the Keys in Florida. I think we might take a tent to make things even more interesting. Think I will blog the trip. I'll send you the first one and if you don't like it, just let me know and I'll take you off the list but I really hope you stay for the ride!!! Life is great!!!! Love to you all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment